Using Twitter is a great way to get traffic to your site almost instantly.Twitter currently has over 500 million account holders, with more joining every day.
Tweets are easily seen by millions of people every minute. What better way to reach your potential customers than to do so in such a grand way?
Tweeting looks so easy. However, promoting your website is not as simple as just placing a link in your tweet. Twitter is an active community, you need to become involved in the community before you start self-promotion.
Driving traffic to your website or blog can easily be done on Twitter. Here are a few tips to get you started on your Twitter market campaign:
- Twitter only allows you to use 140 characters in a tweet. You need to really condense your words, and make every one of them count. Short and effective tweets – especially if they are under 100 characters – seem to draw more attention than longer ones.
Think about writing a short phrase that provokes a reaction in some way. You want to immediately get everyone’s attention! You don’t have to feel stuck with using just your title in your tweets. Use your imagination, or take a snippet from your site.
Spend some time writing a few sample tweets with less than 10 words in each one. Try each tweet and see which one actually brings people to your website. If none do, start over.
- Use a whole quote from your blog posts. This is a great way to give your readers an idea of what your blog is about. Did you know that this type of quote gets re-tweeted 50 out of 100 times it is seen? More exposure for you.
- If someone mentions your website or blog, make sure that you then re-tweet their tweet. This works great for letting people know that there are readers that are enjoying your blog, and sharing your posts with their friends.
- You’ve posted a great phrase and a link to your website, and you want even more people to see it. Ask other tweeters if they would please re-tweet your linked tweet. Some will do it gladly. This is a fast way to get more traffic to your website or blog.
- Everyone knows the old saying, “A picture says a thousand words.” Using the right image will make your tweet stand out in the crowded space.
The more people like your image, the more people will clink on your link and find their way right to your front door. Using images is about the best way to generate a ton of easy traffic.
- Engage your readers from the moment they see your tweet. Ask them questions to connect them and your blog. If your blog is about baking tips, then ask something like, “Tired of the same old cookies?”
This immediately lets them know what your blog is about, and, that you are set to answer this question.
- Make use of hash-tags – those one or two-word phrases that follow the # sign. This makes it easy for those who wish to follow certain discussions. Always include your personal hash-tags in your tweets.
You can use simple hash-tags to share sub-topics in a larger topic. In your baking discussions you might want to use #butter or #eggs in your tweets. Bakers are always eager to learn new tips.
You can also use hash-tags as a way to promote eBooks or contests on your blog. Themed hash-tags relating to your website or blog can also be attention-getting, and will help generate that much desired traffic.
- If you currently have a contest going on your blog, then be sure to tweet about it – adding an eye-popping graphic. People love contests, and running one is a great way to get them to visit your website or blog. You can’t ask for an easier way to generate traffic!
- Make use of @mentions. To use then, you just write @username (but you actually type in a real user name.)
@mentions can be used in two different ways: If you have blog posts about other bloggers, or high-profile companies, then @mention them in your tweet. This links back to your website – and the appropriate post. Twitter users love to be mentioned.
Or, you can @mention those who have made comments on your posts. This is a great way to thank people for following you and your posts.
- Your Twitter bio is the perfect place for you to put a link directly back to your blog. Hyperlinks can be placed in the ‘content’ section and in the ‘about me’ section.
Adding short notes with each link will make it easy for people to get to your website. Many people miss this opportunity to self-promote without effort. Don’t be left out.
These are some of the easiest ways to generate traffic to your blog or website using Twitter as your platform. Some of these techniques will work better than others (for you and your site).
Twitter is one of the quickest ways to bring that much-needed traffic to your website.
Bloggers needing more traffic, (this probably includes all of us!) should take advantage of everything Twitter has to offer.
My name is Juan Rademacher, and I confess, I am obsessed with traffic. That’s because after years of frustration trying to get traffic to my websites, I’ve discovered some easy, time-tested methods for FREE, and low-cost traffic generation.